Friday, September 21, 2012

How to get to Japan Method 2: Get a Job

So here is a method for those of you who are either no longer students, not in the mood for more education, or want to have more free time and just spend a few years / months doing something to make some dough and survive in Japan for longer than a vacation.

I haven't done this myself but I have plenty of friends that have and are doing this right now.
I was THIS close to teaching at a large English Language company as I had done some side teaching of business English in my spare time and managed to do well in their interview process by showing I was really into helping people, used to the cultural style, and already had experience adjusting teaching methods depending on the student (most of whom who much older than me and either doing it because they had to or wanted to fit into their English-speaking company).

Below is a list of thoughts on this whole thing from 99% of my friends doing this that I chat with..
This list is for those doing the stereotypical teaching English gig (nothing wrong with it, honestly it's the best way to feel like a mini-boss, have a good time meeting people, and I enjoyed it although I'm into making more money since business school brainwashes you.)

  • It will be a culture shock at first
  • Either pass the TOEFL or be really good at persuading people and get experience prior to going to Japan. Not only is it good to taste what you're going to get yourself in for, you could try asking for a higher salary.
  • If you like helping people-- this is for you!
  • RESEARCH-- Shop around and ask people in the companies you are looking at-- there are a lot of different types. Make sure you get a gig with a school that fits what YOU want. 
  • Kids are more fun than adults to teach. It is madness, but chaotic fun.. For me, I prefer adults even though it they can be calloused.. Mainly because I like to talk about really intense topics and kids confuse me.
  • On the other hand, my gal friend that teaches employees at a big company through a large Ekaiwa school (English- conversation school) in Tokyo says it can get really awkward or just pain tiring when the business people aren't in the mood. 
  • 9 times out of 10 it isn't the best idea for your long term career growth, unless you go there with a purpose (unless teaching English is your lifelong dream, as it is for some :)) DO use it to make money and survive in Japan --on the side teach yourself Japanese. One of my friends learned quickly by living in the middle of nowhere and now is a translator for a big bank. He is awesome. 
  • Have fun in your free time!! Unlike me with my US corporate job, by friends in Japan seem to be having a good old time doing activities I only had time for as a student. Take advantage! 
  • Do other side jobs if you want more dough. Modeling for instance, or teaching additional hours. 
  • Date people who are native speakers. I didn't do this but have seen plenty who have, if you really want to ace Japanese (assuming you want to learn the language) I'd recommend this. Heck, I'm pretty sure the bulk of people I know who went there for jobs had Japanese-fever. Just stating what people try to skitter around in these types of blogs. Might as well hone in on your language, find the love of your life (again, you may realize that your thinking differs from what you were expecting), and live in Japan.
  • Most importantly: Have a good time!! It's an adventure-- be open to opportunities. Do things (preferably legal things) you wouldn't do back in your home country!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment